Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Unexpected

I have been thinking about two things a great deal lately: Life is wildly unexpected, and God looks out for us ALWAYS. Even when we are doing our best to make it on our own, a loving Heavenly Father is ready at any moment to catch us when we look up and say “Please? I have no idea what to do!”
If you had told me four months ago (the first week after V broke up with me) that I would not only be completely healed from that experience, but also just starting a relationship with someone I barely even knew at that point, I would have scowled at you and said that nothing was going to happen between myself and guys until after my mission (3 years in the future). Yet here I am, in that position. After moving through the stages of grief (some of them multiple times) and then throughout the phases of healing, I realized that I am whole again. The power of the Atonement took away a heartache I thought would take me many months to recover from.
This new relationship is very different from the last one I had. They are both good men, and I am incredibly grateful that I have had them both in my life. I have learned SO much! My first relationship (with V) was exactly what I needed at that point in my life. I grew immensely because of it, and I found out more of what I do and do not want as I look for an eternal companion. Heavenly Father watched over me through that experience, the breakup, recovery, and now my blossoming relationship with M.
M has been completely unexpected. We met a week before my breakup, got to know each other a little bit in January and February, and by the first week in March had full-blown hardcore crushes on each other. I FREAKED OUT. I like things to move slowly, and this certainly didn’t. I tried to put the brakes on, and that didn’t work. I got an answer to prayer, essentially in the form of “Calm down. This is a good experience you need to have. M is a good, worthy man. Enjoy it!” So I have. And I fell hard and fast for him. We mesh on some of the craziest, most bizarre levels. Like both being born at home and homeschooled all the way through to college. Or not wanting a TV when we find our respective own places. The list really goes on and on, but I won’t. We also mesh on the more basic, essential levels, like religion, goals, and respect. Basically, we make each other happy. It’s a wonderful thing. Life may go FOOMP in the near future (it usually does!), but that is no reason not to enjoy the moment. Life is unexpected, but God always has our best interests at heart.

4 comments:

  1. So is the whole things moving slowly business why you are always in total denial for the first months of your crush?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...something like that. Yeah. There was less denial than usual with this one, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, something that we have to find a solution for is that in our day and age, techology has made it almost impossible to say, "no tv". Computers and television are melding to such a point that you can't really have one without the other (especially computers). Not that this is entirely a bad thing, it just involves finding new ways to work with and limit what influences we allow in our homes.

    ReplyDelete